It is recommended that Los Angeles County women perform breast exams on themselves on a regular basis and that they also have a breast evaluation performed by a physician at least once per year. If a lump is discovered during a breast evaluation, it is crucial that women in San Dimas and the surrounding region have it evaluated early. Dr. Elijah Mobley is an expert general surgeon who can perform a breast evaluation as well as examine a breast lump. There are several ways that lumps can be examined by a general surgeon.
What Procedures Can Be Performed in Order to Evaluate a Breast Lump?
- Mammogram — A diagnostic mammogram can be performed in the event that a breast lump was found during a routine exam. This procedure is a specialized X-ray that is specifically designed for breasts. It can help doctors evaluate the size, shape and location of the lump, as well as allow them to look for other symptoms including nipple discharge.
- Ultrasound — An ultrasound is a procedure that uses sound waves in order to evaluate the size and shape of a breast lump. This procedure can help determine if further testing, such as a biopsy, is necessary.
- MRI — An MRI is a specialized technique that uses magnetic field and radio waves. The goal of the MRI is to map a detailed image of the breast, and allow the physician to evaluate the results. MRI results are notoriously difficult to interpret, and often require further testing in order to confirm accurate results.
- Breast Biopsy — If other procedures find that a breast lump is solid, then a breast biopsy is performed in order to determine if the lump is cancerous. A breast biopsy can be performed in a variety of ways, some of which include a fine-needle aspiration biopsy, core needle biopsy, and surgical biopsy.
- Fine-needle Aspiration — This is a unique type of evaluation method in which the fluid inside the lump is examined. A needle is inserted into the lump and fluid is removed. If the fluid is clear, the lump is more than likely a cyst. If the fluid is not clear, or the lump is found to be solid, then further tests are typically necessary.
Early evaluation of a breast lump is essential to properly diagnosing breast cancer and ensuring that every woman has the treatment options available to her that she needs. Dr. Elijah Mobley can help women by performing regular breast evaluations, and he also gives them options for evaluating any breast lumps that might be found. In order to find out more information about breast evaluations, contact Dr. Elijah Mobley’s office today.