Advances in medical technology have made it possible to replace a lot of open surgeries with minimally invasive operations. Today’s surgical procedures have come a long way from the necessity of having large incisions and lengthy recoveries. One such advancement is with the use of the da Vinci Robotic system. Your Glendora Surgeon operates the robotic arms from a panel with a screen. The surgeon has a clear, high-definition view of the surgery site. This enhanced view lets the surgeon operate with more precision and control.
If your Glendora Surgeon determines that you are a good candidate for a da Vinci Robotic surgery, here are some of the advantages of this procedure versus having a traditional or laparoscopic operation:
- Better Internal Vision: Because the da Vinci Robotic system gives the surgeon an enhanced view of the surgery site, it is easier to isolate the area that needs attention. Being able to see the surrounding internal area that would be visible with the naked eye means the surgeon can avoid healthy tissue while operating.
- Fewer Incisions: The da Vinci Robotic system requires smaller and fewer incisions than traditional surgery. This means that there will be less pain during recovery and fewer scars. Depending on the reason for the operation, a da Vinci surgery might be done on an outpatient basis that lets the patient return home after the procedure.
- Reduced Blood Loss: When compared to traditional operations, the precision of the da Vinci system results in less blood loss during the surgery. This means that the patient will need fewer blood transfusions during a required hospital stay after the operation.
- Lower Risk of Post-Surgery Infections: Fewer incisions mean that there are fewer chances that infections may occur after the surgery. This advanced system also reduces the possibility of bacterial interference during the operation.
- Shorter Hospital Stays: Having fewer incisions may reduce the length of time needed for a hospital stay before going home. This is a vast improvement from the extended hospital stays often required with some traditional and laparoscopic operations.
- Shorter Recovery Time: Fewer incisions means that the patient may require less bed rest and experience faster healing than with traditional operations and larger incisions. A shorter recovery time lets the patient return to normal daily activities sooner.
Some routine procedures may not require the complexity of the da Vinci Robotic system. But, if your surgery qualifies for a da Vinci Robotic operation, it is a good option to discuss with your Glendora Surgeon.